Friday, August 19, 2011

AirVenture 2011

Well, Sunday will be three weeks since AirVenture ended.  However, that's still a short turnaround by my posting history, so I figured I would see which of you bloggers went (and are willing to post about it) and what you liked.

On the Eclipse front, the jets are back at FL410, they are still planning a return to production, and according to aviation news sources, they are in hiring mode.  The current panel even includes the little pull out keyboards that were on the original mockup years ago.  I got a panel demo at Eclipse's AirVenture booth and liked it a lot more than I thought I would.  I flew the jet last year at the Cirrus Migration in Dayton and felt somewhat lost with the panel.  Not with basic flying, but with various modes and options.  I hadn't spent any time getting familiar with it, though, so that's not surprising.  After a thorough Oshkosh overview, it seemed like a pretty easy panel to use with a lot of capability. I figured I would mention all this as there's a bit of Eclipse history on the blog. ;-)



A plane I fell in love with was the RS Warbirds Shorts Tucano: http://www.rswarbirds.com/
Looks like a heck of a lot of fun complete with ejection seats!




As a result of reading about the Pipistrel Panthera (see previous post), I was formally introduced to their two-seat lineup.  Those airplanes look like a lot of fun, as well, and at less than 1/10 the cost of the Tucano (not that you can really compare the two).  The Pipistrel Virus looks like an RC plane here (take a look at the 360):



Aside from airplanes, I have been really happy to see how the food situation has developed at AirVenture.  A lot more options than there used to be.  Not that it's important, but I love food so it's on my list.  On another infrastructure note, EAA made some good improvements to drainage this year after the so-called "Sloshkosh" of 2010.

How about you guys?

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The "New" Eclipse 550 was announced by Mason Holand at NBAA; now accepting orders with deliveries to begin in 2013. Something like on Tuesday, October 17th... 2013.

    Albuquerque Journal is reporting that the fuselage, wings, and tail will be make by Sikorsky's PZL affilliate, IN POLAND!! That means no Hampson, no Fuji. Holland was even more non-committal if final assembly would even happen in Albuquerque. I suspect this move is necessary if MnM were not able to dramatically reduce the reported 6000 man-hours needed to make an EA500. Plenty of cheap labor in Poland, but IMHO, it is not really an Eclipse anymore. Vern mite have been an ass, but the EA500 was a symbol of something uniqiely American, a symbol of what can be done when all the assumptions are challenged. I don't think this new EA550 can retain the true spirit of what Eclipse was about.
    :-(

    E.D.T.

    ReplyDelete